Which tenancy agreement do I need for renting a room?

Read the Lodger agreement guide now

Learn more

The tenancy agreement you need for renting a room will depend on the room and your situation.

  1. If you are a live-in landlord:
    If you are renting out a room in your main home then you are taking on a lodger and will need a lodger licence agreement. You can take on multiple lodgers in your house but will need to check with your council if you need a HMO licence if you are taking on more than 2. If you are taking on more than 2 people in the context of a HMO then you will need a HMO tenancy agreement.
  2. If you are not a live-in landlord:
    If your property is a HMO then you will need a HMO tenancy agreement. If not and you are renting separate rooms, you will need a bedsit tenancy agreement.

Read our articles for more explanations on the differences between tenancies and licences and read our tutorials on how to create your tenancy and lodger licence agreements with Legislate.

Create your Lodger agreement now

Get Started

Looking for more answers?

More Questions