When creating an internship agreement, it might be tempting to avoid legal fees and download the first free contract template you find online. However, creating legal documents without prior legal expertise can be risky. Is the template up-to-date? Does it provide sufficient protection to your company or the intern? Is the contract's governing law even appropriate for your jurisdiction? Did you inadvertently download an employment contract? In this article, Legislate will provide a more transparent way to create your internship agreements online, in minutes and on no legal budget.
What is an internship contract?
An internship contract is a legal document which allows an intern to gain work experience at an internship provider's place of work. An intern can do a paid or unpaid internship depending on the nature of the work experience. It is important to determine if you can afford to take on an intern and that you have weighed the pros and cons of taking on an intern before making an internship offer.
What types of services can be delivered with an internship agreement?
There are different types of internships which can help you determine if you need an internship agreement. For example, a work shadowing experience will likely require a volunteer internship agreement and a social media intern developing content will likely be considered as a paid worker. Student internships might require a separate agreement with the University's internship program and a review of the University internship report. When taking on an intern, ensure that you do not in fact require an employment agreement with a probationary period.
What are the key terms of an internship agreement?
There are a number key clauses in an internship contract which need to be included to provide the internship provider and intern with sufficient protection. Below are some key terms you need to include in your internship agreement:
- Company name of the internship provider and the name and address of the intern
- Start date and fixed-term duration of the internship
- The intern's job title and whether the internship is part-time or full-time
- The intern's hours of work and working days
- Is it a paid internship and is the intern paid more than the national minimum wage?
- Confidential information such as trade secrets accessed by the intern during the course of the internship must be protected during and after the end of the internship
- Intellectual property rights developed during the internship are transferred to the internship provider
Create lawyer-approved contracts for free for 7 days
The best way to create your internship agreement online
Legislate helps you create a lawyer-approved internship agreement online in minutes and on no legal budget. To get started, complete the following steps:
- Sign up to Legislate
- Click on create a contract
- Select internship agreement from the list of available contracts
- Answer simple questions about the internship agreement such as the services and payment terms so that you have sufficient protection
- Pay £9.95 to preview the contract and invite parties for signature.
What else can you do with Legislate?
Legislate is an easy-to-use contract management platform which offers standardised legal documents which you can tailor on your own by answering simple questions. Legislate allows you to streamline your contracts whilst offering a professional experience. Moreover, you can access key contract statistics in real-time. To get started, read a tutorial, book a demo or create an account now!
Legislate is a contracting platform where business owners can create contracts to help grow and develop their business. Legislate's employment offer letters and contracts are key in protecting your IP and Legislate's NDAs are crucial to ensure you can have conversations and partnerships to help develop your business and brand. Book a demo or sign up today to put the confidence back into contracting.
The opinions on this page are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice on which you should rely.