Can a landlord request that their tenant's Universal Credit be paid to them?

Read the tenancy agreement guide now

Learn more

If a tenant on Universal Credit struggles to pay their rent, a landlord can request Managed Payment to Landlord (MPTL). MPTL ensures that the tenant's Universal Credit housing costs are paid directly to the landlord.

In considering an application for MPTL, the Council will consider factors such as a tenant's pre-existing rent arrears, additional problems and mental health issues.

MPTL can be paid at any point in the tenancy and applications can be made through the service.

Read on to find out what the impact will be of increasing the rent of a tenant on Universal Credit.

Create your custom tenancy agreement now

Get Started

Looking for more answers?

More Questions