Freelancing can be very rewarding but also very challenging. The benefits such as work freedom, building your own business, making more money and doing stuff that is more rewarding can outweigh the negatives such as work instability, long hours, and juggling many hats.
I started Always Create in 2019 to support creative freelancers. From building a community of 600+, I’m going to share with you my top tips for thriving as a freelancer in order to help you build the business of your dreams.
Up your game
Freelancing is for the “specialist” and “the expert”. In order to succeed you would need to specialize in a skill and/or be great at selling your skills.
- Learn a new skill and up level, there are lots of online courses you can find & YouTube is free to watch tutorials.
- Get good at selling your skills and get more focused on what you offer.
- I offer 1:1 portfolio review sessions aimed at helping freelancers gain better clients – high paying ones!
Freelancers, track the important stuff
When it comes to your big goals, weekly routines, and money. Track it! So you can focus your attention on the work you love doing with clients you love working with.
- For setting up regular routines and reminders to reach your target, download the app from goalswizard.com
- For tracking your incoming money and spending, download our free money tracker.
- Go digital with your invoices, spend less time chasing. I recommend Anna Money.
Create lawyer-approved contracts for free for 7 days
Better Clients > More Clients
Nothing is worse than dealing with difficult clients. The answer is not more but better. Better clients pay you more, cause less stress, are less demanding, and are a joy to work with.
- Clients can come from unexpected places, so put yourself and your work out there more & keep positive.
- Best places to find clients: social media, blogging, cold email, asking for a recommendation, improving your SEO & guest podcast.
- Branding yourself can set you apart from the competition. Download our free self-branding questionnaire for clarity.
- Vet your clients before they become your clients, have some key questions to ask every client to ensure a good working relationship.
Make your well-being a priority.
If we learnt anything from Covid 19, it is to put your health before your business. At the end of the day, we have only one body to live in. So take care of it, in order to get the best out of life. Besides as a solo business owner, you’ve all you’ve got. Let go of stress and embrace calm.
About Always Create
Founded in 2019, Always Create is a community–platform for freelancers & creative innovators. We help 600+ creatives grow their career through our Events, Resources and Freelance Opportunities.
Written by: Christina Banjo, Founder at alwayscreate.co *contains affiliate links*.
Join the community www.alwayscreate.co/join