Sole occupancy Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement with permitted occupier

Find out more about assured shorthold tenancy agreements

Read the Guide

For anyone setting up or managing rental properties, tenancy agreements are an essential step in the process, but they can be daunting to create, especially when you’re renting out your first property. With Legislate, you’ll get a lawyer-approved tenancy agreement you can create by yourself in a few clicks.

An assured shorthold tenancy agreement (also known as an AST) allows a landlord to let a property to a tenant. The term of an assured shorthold tenancy agreement is usually 6 or 12 months and will usually convert to a rolling periodic tenancy at the end of the initial term.

A sole occupancy tenancy agreement is when a tenant rents the entire property and has exclusive possession of the property. This means that the landlord needs to seek permission to enter and can only repossess the property from the tenant by serving a notice under certain conditions. The conditions for serving a notice will depend on the status of the tenancy (within the initial term, at a break point or rolling) and whether the tenant has breached the terms of the tenancy agreement or not.

Create lawyer-approved contracts for free for 7 days

A permitted occupier is someone who is permitted by the Landlord to live at the property with the tenant but is not a party to the tenancy agreement. This means that the tenant is responsible for the permitted occupier. Children are often treated as permitted occupiers.

A permitted occupier does not need to sign the tenancy agreement but it is important that their details appear in the agreement to confirm that the landlord authorised them to live in the property.

Legislate's assured shorthold tenancy allows you to add a permitted occupier to the agreement. Simply select this option and enter their details.

Create your assured shorthold tenancy agreement now

Get Started

Keep Reading