Fixed-term Lodger licence agreement with letting agent

Find out more about lodger licence agreements

Read the Guide

There are many things to consider when signing a fixed-term lodger agreement, if you're a landlord or a lodger.

A lodger licence agreement allows a live-in landlord to rent a room in their main home to a lodger. A lodger is an excluded occupier which means that they do not have exclusive possession of their room. As a result, a lodger is not a tenant and has less rights than under an assured shorthold tenancy as they are living in the landlord's main home.

A fixed term lodger licence allows a live-in landlord to take on a lodger for a fixed period of time which can be as short as 1 night to as long as a couple of months. A fixed term can be renewed if the landlord or lodger agree to.

Curious about extracting data from pdf documents with AI?

A letting agent is a person or company who can help a landlord let out their property. A letting agent usually helps match tenants with properties and manages the relationship with the tenant on the landlord's behalf.

Whilst letting agents usually manage properties of live-out landlords, they can offer lodger sourcing services to live-in landlords. This can help landlords save time both in finding lodgers and conducting reference checks.

Legislate's lodger licence agreement can be created by agents on behalf of the landlord. A letting agent can also sign on behalf of the landlord if they have their permission.

Create your lodger licence agreement now

Get Started

Keep Reading